There are many different materials that you can choose from for your kitset shed. Each have their own pros and cons. At Sheds Direct, we think that using a steel frame shed offers the most advantages compared to other framing types. Because of this, all of our sheds use steel framing.
In this article, we’ll cover some of the advantages of a steel frame shed to help you decide if it is the right choice for you.
Advantages of a steel frame shed
Choosing a steel frame shed gives you many advantages that are ideal if you want a durable shed that will continue to work for you. Here are some of the benefits of choosing a steel frame shed:
- Resistance to the elements. Steel sheds that are properly assembled won’t leak and also keep out the wind. Steel is also fireproof and won’t burn if there is a fire nearby. The resistance to the elements means that limited moisture is let in so your contents stay safe.
- Pests can’t burrow in. One of the primary advantages that steel has over wood sheds is that pests can’t burrow inside the material. Borer and termites can eat away at wood, and it’s also a popular material for birds to nest. These pests can’t get into the metal to damage it, which also helps makes it less likely for bugs and other pests to get inside.
- Extra security. Steel is extremely tough. It’s hard to break into and hard to knock down. This security helps keep your contents protected both from intruders and severe weather, as a well-built steel shed won’t break down easily.
- Durable with minimum maintenance. Some shed materials require regular treatments and maintenance to stay stable and in good condition. Steel frame sheds require very little maintenance, and a quick hose down every once in a while is often all it needs.
- Best warranties. While warranties will depend on the specific company you choose, most companies offer the best warranties on steel frame sheds. This is because steel framing is the longest lasting, and with minimal maintenance, it can be guaranteed with confidence. All of our sheds at Sheds Direct include a 50-year warranty on steel framing because we’re confident it will last.
Steel shed terms
Be careful when looking at kitset sheds because the wording from some companies can be tricky. Prices for kitset sheds in NZ tend to start around $20,000 for a small garage and go upwards from there. If you’re shopping around, you. might come across companies advertising steel sheds for significantly lower, like $5000.
At this price point, the sheds won’t be fully steel (unless they’re a very small garden shed) but may use phrases like “steel-reinforced” or “constructed from steel”. These give the impression that you’re getting a true steel kitset shed when it may only be used in a small portion of the design.
At Sheds Direct, all of our sheds are true steel kitset sheds. Sheds Direct uses locally sourced and manufactured superior quality products. With around 40% more steel in our sheds than other providers whose product might “look” similar, you are assured of both Strength and Quality. Get in touch with us to find out more or get a free quote including design by clicking the Quote button at the top or bottom of the page.